Saturday, August 15, 2009

Another Fine Day on The Cobb

Last time I went kayaking on The Cobb I found this little channel through the reeds that went on and on, accessible only by a kayak or canoe. It continuously looks like it deadends but once you get closer, you see it continues around the next bend. Very cool.







I then paddled down to the cormorant tree and found them hanging out there in the middle of the day, which is rather unusual.






They're such odd looking little birds but really quite interesting to watch, especially the way the take off out of the water, flying very close to the surface of the stream for quite some distance before gaining height.




I found these interesting flowers along the shore. I don't remember seeing them before but a little googling tells me they're called buttonbush, or more technically, Cephalanthus occidentalis.



I think these ubiquitous little purple flowers are called pickerel.






The sun had started to set by the time I got back to camp, giving a bit of pink/purple tinge to the sky.


Another fine day on The Cobb.





2 comments:

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

I TOLD you it was Cephalanthus occidentalis! : )

Crystal said...

I thought that was you sneezing. I didn't know you was so smaht!