Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sunday, May 2nd


I hear the occasional splash from a fish jumping or an osprey diving for his prey.  It’s humid today, temp about 75.  Pretty nice for early May.   The water level in The Cobb is very low due to repairs being made to New Mills Dam in Gardiner.  The leaves are starting on the trees but the lack of foliage and water makes everything look brown and dead, especially on this slightly overcast day.  Yet there’s plenty of wildlife: there are probably 6 or 8 red squirrels within sight, running through the trees, coming to the feeder.  Many people dislike the little ninjas but I’m kind of fond of their chattering and the way they vibrate with life most every moment of their existence.   I spied one sitting for an hour in a notch in the tree out by the stream this morning.  I seldom see them still for that long.  There’s birdsong all around, red wing black birds, goldfinch, the hairy woodpecker, as well as the ubiquitous osprey.  I saw four of them flying overhead yesterday while sitting on the deck. 

An occasional boater passes lazily by, sometimes with poles cast.   The monkey like sound of what I’m guessing is the pileated woodpecker joins the scene.  I wonder sometimes if it’s a flaw in my character that I can sit here for hours just taking all this in.  “Shouldn’t” I be doing something?  At least pretend to be reading a book?  There is a list of things I should be doing: getting ready to go to Jim Lunt’s 90th birthday party, finish cleaning up after my paint job on the doorway, pack stuff and get ready to leave, but . . . 

I did write a poem today.

They greeted her with smiling faces
their prickly thorns and petals of love
she went about her chores
while the flowers sang their music

No comments: