Monday, October 4, 2010

My newest piece

I love this piece I made the other morning when I couldn't sleep.  Yesterday I put some little round feet on the bottom.  I rather like it in the gray that it is right now but when it gets bisque fired it will turn to a flesh color.  I don't really have any glaze that would equal this gray.   In the past I've glazed these in different colors for each section but then the glaze kind of takes over.  I think I might try a single, subtle color glaze on this one and see if it brings out the detail work more.  I'll post a photo of the completed piece when it's done.

I love having the space to do handbuilding at home and can't wait till I can afford a kiln and a wheel!

I really kicked butt on throwing during this class session.  I must have 10 or more pieces - some quite large pieces - to glaze this week.  I find glazing the most difficult part of the whole process as you just don't know what's going to happen.  The glazes can be fine one firing and the next firing they'll run or turn icky shades.  The chun has turned a really icky mucus green in the past.  Last firing apparently the spambo ran terribly.  The cappuccino turns white instead of brown if you get it too thick.  And when you've worked really hard on a piece it stinks to have it ruined at the final step with crappy glaze results.  But I guess all we can do is hold our breaths and hope for the best.

No comments: