Tuesday, August 16, 2011

April Camp


Another gray day breaks over the April marsh
if you weren’t vigilant, you might think the morning held only bleakness
but for brief moments the sky roils in pinks and blues
above an army of gliding eiders

A magnificent bald eagle is perched sentinel
hoping to discover what Mother has lain before him this day
Then, as suddenly as it came, the marsh has turned bleak once again
the dead branches protruding from the water’s dusky surface
reflect black on black in perfect symmetry

The drab sky blends with bare branches of birches and alders
still bereft of any semblance to July’s verdant greens
or October’s vibrant reds and yellows
Even the drab colors of the osprey that has taken over the eagle’s hunting ground
meld into the muted landscape  
proclaiming their rightful place
in this somber spectacle of slate colored scenery

Posted for dVerse poets open link night.

9 comments:

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Now even those who haven't been to camp on such a day can appreciate it. Vibrant images and it captures the transience of each day!

Brian Miller said...

i like those flashes of life amid the grey day...seasons come and go...

Timoteo said...

Thanks for the comment. (Your other blog took me by surprise, and I would say you are one interesting individual!)Anyway, anyone who quotes Alan Watts is all right with me!

author.nara.malone said...

Such a beautiful write. Reminds me of birding visits to the wetlands with my Dad. Your words have that same quality of breathless awe.

Daydreamertoo said...

Isn't it a wonderful sight to see American Bald Eagles flying free and soaring, just as nature intended.
although it speaks of a gloomy day you capture the life in it too. Lovely.

California Ink in Motion said...

Living on the coast of California, I get my fair share of slate...as you put it. I love your ability to portay the scene. Appreicated how you were able to het my mind's eyes to see the flash of color between the grey. Nice work.

I wrote one recently about fog/greyness

http://themslvh.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/california-style-morning/

Pat Hatt said...

Wonderful scene you depicted, really vivid images it provokes too, nicely done.

Henry Clemmons said...

Somedays moring's beauty fades quickly into the reality of another day. Great write. Luv your voice and rhythm. Images kept me glued. You aressted my attention right off and held me till you finished. Greatness.

Jannie Funster said...

I used to think that prairies too were bleak and boring until I learned they are actually roiling with so much life.

I love the somber and slate you describe, the dead birches.

I can hear the beating wings.