Saturday, June 2, 2012




I've been enjoying a lazy rainy day of coffee in bed, last Sunday's newspaper puzzles, and a cozy fire. Temps are probably hovering about 60.  Critters are out in force, including the sounds of eagles and osprey overhead.  If you happen to be looking at the right time or if you're quick enough when you hear a splash, you'll see one of them carry off a nice fish.




I love my little one room camp - my fortress of indulgence.  Internet access through my new Android phone to communicate with the world if I wish, a little Rumi, and my latest book on my Kindle.  I'm glad I got in a long paddle on the stream yesterday cause I won't be going out today even though there was a guy, raincoat and all, fishing right out front earlier.  I was sitting in bed Thursday night watching a fisherman out on the stream casting towards the camp as I counted 5 big fish jump behind him.  I think I heard one snicker.


A loon from my Friday paddle.

I like the way you can barely see camp from the stream.




Brunch 
lovely sunset last weekend

last weekend's campfire




When I got back from my paddle yesterday I started watering my flowers and noticed one of the "rocks" in the garden started moving.


The front of his shell is covered with duckweed from the stream.  He was moving very slowly and later appeared to be dead, sitting there on shore with feet and legs out, surrounded by flies.  Rick touched him with a stick and his eyes flickered open but he didn't move.  Maybe he was just waiting for the flies to get close enough so he could eat them but he just looked so pathetic we decided to wash the duckweed off him with a hose to see if it revived him.  Well it did wake him up or whatever and he slowly turned around and made his way into the stream.  You could see the path he made underwater by the way the reeds moved as he swam.  We were very relieved that he appeared well and didn't die right there in the garden.



Well I'm glad I got a chance to post some of my recent photos.  Time now to unplug and enjoy my fortress of solitude.

I hear the Kindle faintly calling but right now I'm just savoring the sound of rain falling on the tin roof.  It always makes me think of Nora Jones' song, "Come Away With Me":

"And I want to wake up with the rain
Falling on a tin roof
While I'm safe there in your arms
So all I ask is for you
To come away with me in the night"


1 comment:

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Like. Oh, wait, I thought this was Facebook for a second! : )