Saturday, November 8, 2008

Big Comfy Chair


I’m sitting in my big comfy chair on this dreary gray day looking out the window at the beach. There’s a blue suv parked over there. As I watch, a middle aged woman with short red hair climbs out of the back seat, adjusts her clothing, pulling her pants out of the crack of her ass, straightens her blouse, and stretches . . . just as a young man climbs out of the back seat on the other side of the suv. He runs his hands through his thick black hair, turns and smiles at the woman, and lights a cigarette, as they both climb into the front seats of the suv and drive away. Hmmm, wonder what they were doing . . .

Amazing what I can witness, right from the coziness of my big comfy chair. One early morning last week I watched an eagle soaring over the tops of the pine trees. Another day I watched as multiple hundred year-old pines were murdered, just for being.

I sit here today with Karma curled up beside me and the sound of rain drizzling off the roof. I contemplate lighting a fire in the fireplace though knowing I’d be plenty warm if I just put on a pair of socks instead of lounging around in my lightweight clothes and bare feet. I should save the wood for a colder day but the fire would feel so cozy and take some of the dampness and dreariness out of the air. I know before I even begin that the “shoulds” aren’t going to win this argument.

No comments: