Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Vacation Week

Our home sits on a dead end road. I had never been down to the dead end until today. It seems kind of strange now to realize that. It’s only about a half mile down. It runs along the lake with houses on both sides. I’d believed it had a foot path connecting it to Foster Lane which runs parallel to it, but I didn’t discover it if there is one.

I’m just coming off a week’s vacation. I like taking this week off to retreat into home, do lots of cooking, relax with a book, take walks, feast on leftovers. After our walk down the dead end street today we enjoyed a delicious turkey sandwich and a Stella, brought in some Christmas decorations from the cottage and put out a few things. I like a gradual progression into Christmas.

I finished reading Bleeding Kansas, this week; a book by Sara Paretsky that I picked up at the Austin airport after having finished Carolyn Cassady’s Off The Road on the flight down. I loved Off The Road, a different take on the beats, from the perspective of a woman who loved some of them in spite of herself.

Bleeding Kansas was a good enough story; nothing to get excited about but an easy read to enjoy by the fire.

The turkey soup has been simmering for the last few hours and it's just about time to add some dumplings. Yummy.

1 comment:

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

The dumplings and the soup were YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY my darling!