Friday, January 9, 2009

I Love Flowers


I love getting flower deliveries, especially at work. From where my office is located, I can see when people drive in our driveway. I can also see them walk up the ramp to our office and if my door is open, I can see them as they enter the front door.

Yesterday I was working at my computer, which sets right next to my window, and saw the flower delivery van drive in the driveway, and the delivery man walk up the walkway to our building. As he walks in the door there are always those few moments of anticipation, wondering if that stunning bouquet he’s holding is for you . . . or is it for one of your co-workers? At that point it doesn’t even matter; you can’t help but smile, just looking at those beautiful flowers. But when he announces your name, there’s always such a moment of delight and surprise, especially if it’s not even your birthday or Valentine’s Day, or some other special occasion.

He Who Is Unique To Me In All The World knows this about me . . . and indulges me with these wonderful surprises quite frequently. Probably 8 out of the last 10 flower deliveries to our office have been for me, sometimes arriving on someone else’s birthday or anniversary. In fact, I think the delivery man sometimes feels a little sheepish as he brings my deliveries. One day last winter he stopped by our office with a beautiful assortment of flowers that were “left over” and left them for all to enjoy.

I have always loved flowers – blooming in the wild, cultivated in a garden, hanging from pots on a porch. But there’s something about a bouquet of cut flowers; perhaps it’s that their lifespan is so fleeting that they must be treasured for every possible moment of their existence. They must be put in a prominent place where you can enjoy the benefit of their beauty. Sometimes I’ll bring them into my bedroom at night so they will be the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning. On cold, dark mornings, it’s such a lovely surprise to open your eyes and see that reminder that spring really isn’t that far off. That the simple joy brought to us by nature’s beauty rising up from beneath winter’s snow cover will be upon us once again before we know it.
*

No comments: