Monday, June 1, 2009

After two hours spent glazing pots Thursday night I met Eddie and Betty for dinner at Hattie's, a brief stop at The Higher Grounds, and home early. The rain on Friday kept me inside most of the day cleaning house and finishing the book I started last Friday. It was a fun read, though nothing very momentous or insightful. Just a nice story. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.

Saturday we got up EARLY - like 5 a.m. - and headed up to Holden, Maine - next to Bangor - to attend a workshop on Howling with the Wolves. Actually, there was no howling involved, much to my disappointment. However, we did learn about the history of wolves and coyote and learn how to use the equipment to record any howls we might hear. Rick and I are scheduled to head out into the North Maine Woods July 13th and 14th, to howl and hopefully hear and record some wolf/coyote responses.

Sunday we slept late, did all our newspaper puzzles, had a quick lunch at The Depot, stopped at the Gardiner house to water flowers and do a little surprise maintenance, and then a brief stop at camp. The handyman got our hot water heater fixed (note to self: always fill the hot water tank with water BEFORE plugging it in). Not a big deal going without hot water at camp but it certainly makes it easier to wash dishes and it's nice to be able to take a shower. In fact, now maybe we can stay there during the week, even while I'm still working.

My vacation starts June 25th and goes through August 3rd! I really do love my job, but I'm counting the days till vacation starts. It will be a fun filled vacation this year, starting with a week at a cottage overlooking the ocean at Popham Beach, then our trip to the North Maine Woods to howl with the wolves, a 3 day long bluegrass festival, a few days to hang at the lakehouse or camp, and then an eight day trip to California. We'll fly into San Francisco, spend 3 days there, drive down the coast to LA, stopping in Monterey or the Big Sur area for the night, and then spending a few days with Rick's son Jason around LA or Huntington Beach. I've never been to the west coast, so I'm really looking foward to seeing the sights, as well as getting the chance to visit with Jason. I'm also hoping to connect with my friend Penney whom I haven't seen in 30 years. I recently found her on FaceBook and discovered she's living near San Francisco.

No comments: