Monday, July 12, 2010

The Beginning of Week 2 of 2010 Summah Vaca




Got to camp about 7 last night after a stop for some supplies from Hannaford: sesame chicken with brown rice, broccoli and raisin salad, grapes, yogurt, cheese, butter, and raisin bread.  I knew there were crackers and plenty of beer and wine already here.  Jared left the camp in very good shape after his party last night.  I put away my groceries and made the bed with the fresh sheets I'd brought, ate dinner and banged on my djembe for a while as the neighbors weren't around it seemed.  The feeders have been empty for the last few days so the critters have moved on temporarily.  They'll discover the supplies have been replenished quickly enough.  In fact the flying squirrels showed up after a few hours but the reds didn't discover them until well after I was up out of bed this morning so I didn't have to listen to them fight over it starting at 4 a.m. like I often do.

I woke up and made a pot of coffee, ate a yogurt and went for a paddle on The Cobb.  The prediction was for hot and humid so I wanted to be back before mid afternoon.  A nice breeze kept me cool enough and I enjoyed rediscovering all the familiar landmarks.  Very few swallows under the bridge this year.  This purple flower that looks like some sort of water lupine is more ubiquitous than usual it seems.



Upstream about a half a mile I saw a sweet little kitten on the screened in porch of one of the rickety camps nestled at the very edge of the water.  I had never noticed it in use previously but this little guy looked pretty content to be there.  

The only other person I saw on the paddle was my neighbor and his daughter who were apparently there after all.  

It's always nice to see camp come into view on the return trip.


I love seeing all the flowers in bloom.  



I took a quick shower and sat on the deck in my towel and let the warm breeze dry me off.  The broccoli salad and a couple slices of toasted raisin bread made a delicious lunch.  It's great being able to get internet out here through my blackberry.  The deck is shaded enough that I can see my screen and with the sun sparkling off the flowing stream, an occasional osprey or heron stopping by to fish, and the flowers dancing in the wind that has picked up some, I realize it's one of those perfect days where I have absolutely nothing I have to do and I'm exactly where I want to be. 

No comments: