Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summah Vaca Continued

So I hung out at camp reading, kayaking (two days in a row - a (pathetic) record so far this summer), and chillin.  I went over 36 hours without speaking to another human being - nice.  Doesn't seem that long but having never lived alone it's quite unusual for me to go that long.  Some year I'd like to try to go a whole week!

I returned home Wednesday night and Thursday we took the camper down and set it up at White's Beach in preparation for the bluegrass festival over the weekend.

We purchased a camp table and a quickshade which was an excellent investment; made our campsite much more spacious and homey.  We stayed up until 2 a.m. Saturday morning and had a huge crowd picking around the band's campsite.  At one point I counted at least 15 pickers.  


On Saturday we ended up taking an emergency run home to fix the water at the house.  The boys called to say that there was no water pressure.  Sure enough it was just the filter.  However, why the filter would have plugged so quickly I'm not sure.  We left shortly after the NitPicker's third set on Sunday at noon.  

By Sunday I couldn't stand it anymore and made Rick take down the top half of the wall blocking the new addition.  There's still a half wall and still a bunch to do but it feels more real being able to actually see it.  



Tuesday I went out to camp and finally planted a couple of perennials the boys had given me for Mother's Day.  Decided not to spend the night and returned home and pulled out my clay and started playing.  I'm really jonsing to get my hands dirty with it but I'm pretty limited in what I can do without a wheel or a rugged table to throw slabs on.  So basically I've been making some stamps that I'll be able to use for some handbuilding projects once we build my table.  



Of course they'll need to be bisque fired before I can use them.  I'm thinking I should go ahead and get a kiln asap which will allow me to do handbuilding right away.  I can wait a while to get a wheel as I want to continue to take lessons with Malley anyway.  But it will be great to have a space where I can spend time doing the time intensive detailed work that I don't like spending class time on.  

I'm now almost at the end of my 3rd week of vacation.  I'm certainly rested but I don't feel like I've done anything very eventful, which in fact I haven't.  I'm headed up to Stratton this weekend to see Cindy, Grace, and the rest of the girls and check out the Plazapalooza on Saturday and maybe the East Benton Fiddler's Convention on Sunday.  Next week Rick and I are planning to take off in the camper and head up towards Cobscook Bay State Park, maybe Campobello, maybe come back via Moosehead, depending on weather and whatever.  Unfortunately, we're unable to take the kayaks with us on the camper but maybe we'll be able to rent some along the way.  

No comments: