Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dueling Banjos

I made up some posters of Rick's instruments for his birthday and Christmas gifts last month.  I went up to the studio early one morning while there was bright light still streaming in and carefully removed all his instruments from their cases, arranged them in various positions around the room and took photos.  I tried to create shadows and interesting combinations.  

This first poster is of both his old banjo that he's used for the past 20 +/- years and the new banjo he bought just a few months ago.  I called it dueling banjos - kind of a double entendre - the song of course, as well as  an implication of the banjos dueling for his attention and use.  I had it blown up to 24 x 30 and framed it with the title across the top.  I really liked the way it came out.  Here's the photo I used and below is a picture of the framed poster.  

Dueling Banjos







This is a photo of just the banjo head of his new Nechville banjo.  I liked the shadows.  It reminds me of a suspension bridge.  I framed it in a 17 x 17 square frame.  

This one and the one below were supposed to be printed as 24 x 36 but came out more like 18 x 36.  I still put them in a 24 x 36 poster frame and they look fine.  They are just posters, not fine art.


I think this is a photo I took of Rick at Blistered Fingers Bluegrass Festival.  I framed in a square 17 x 17 inch frame.

We arranged them all on the wall in the stairwell to the studio.  You can see there's a rather large empty spot still remaining where I'm planning to make up a poster of his Martin guitar and hang it.  I just haven't been able to decide on which photo to use.  I'll post some of the candidates below.  

Maybe this one with both the Nechville banjo and the guitar . . .

Or this one with just the guitar done in a sepia tone . . .

Or this version of the same photo done in a cyan tone.  I kind of like how stark it looks.

Any thoughts from my readers . . . all two of you?  :)

I do like the way the posters really warm up the once blank wall.  My next photo project will be to do the same thing with some of my pottery photos.  Only instead of framing them I'll just use tacks to put them up cause they'll be on a slanted wall.  





No comments: