Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Friday, April 27th

I came out to camp Wednesday after work and a trip to the farmer’s market on the Gardiner Commons where I picked up some greens, fresh new baby carrots, fresh baked rye bread and a sweet zucchini bread.  Unpacked and put my things away, refilled the feeders with the last of the seed, and brushed down all the kayaks, some of which had been setting unused since fall.  It was very windy and the stream was fairly rough.  I went for a quick paddle across the stream to the marsh that is only accessible during early spring.  The water was much calmer there but there was little wildlife other than the red winged blackbirds singing and flitting around.

Justin and Keeley texted me they had arrived to kayak with me so I paddled back.  I was a little worried about Keeley going out for her first time in the windy conditions but we decided to give it a try.  By the time they got all sorted out with paddles and life preservers and got into the water the wind had died down some.  She caught on very well after a few tips.  We paddled downstream into the wind, keeping close to shore until we got to the narrower part of the stream and crossed over. Not a lot of wildlife about still except for a pair of loons playing further down the stream and a few of the other usual characters – red-winged blackbirds, swallows, etc.  On the way back there was a bald eagle overhead being harassed by a couple of osprey. 




We returned and the mosquitoes and black flies became very aggressive so Justin and Keeley headed home and I went inside and toasted a slice of rye bread, piled on some greens and cheese with a little mayo, the fresh baby carrots, and a Beck’s made a lovely dinner.  



I read for a while but the music from peepers and other unknown night critters serenaded me to sleep fairly early, waking to a foggy morning but a brightness overhead that promised some sun.  It became very windy by mid morning and stayed that way throughout the day.  I took another paddle around the osprey island and down to the early spring marsh returning to camp and my book for the reminder of the day and into the evening.  The poor little red squirrels are sitting on the squirrel box, empty of seeds as I only had enough to fill the bird feeders.  Occasionally they’ll jump to one of those but caution doesn’t let them remain there long.  I suspect Cobby (who was by last night) has been terrorizing them and keeping them on their toes. 

So it’s Friday morning and it feels like Sunday morning as I’ve been here for what feels like two days, not seeing a single person yesterday.  Nice.  I woke up a little before 5 and had to take some photos of the stark beauty.  I would love to stay a couple more days but other plans call.  We’re to load the new camper this morning and drive over to Glen and Holly Bowman’s for a weekend of bluegrass jamming.  It’s only a few minutes from camp so maybe I’ll escape back to my fortress of solitude here if the need arises.  I completely understand Rick’s love of bluegrass picking but it’s quite another thing if you have no musical talent and remain but a spectator.  I need to remember to bring my djembe out to camp where I can drum with only the non-judgmental critters as my audience.  

No comments: