Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Crystal



They gave me the name before it was all the rage
A Crystal, mixed amongst  the more traditional Linda, Donald, William and Thomas of my siblings
What was its meaning
From what flight of fancy did it derive

I’m sure I was told but it wasn’t a definite thing
The story given, a little vague
Eyes that sparkled,
Something about a soul and the universe

A much better answer than
Your father’s great aunt
Though that gives you good strong roots
This leaves you hanging, gives you wings.

Amazingly I was 50 before a person gave me a crystal
A rough unpolished rock with multiple offshoots
Multi faceted in the truest sense of the word
He’d brought the crystal with him from his homeland

Not sure why until that moment he presented it to me
Wrapped in a silken Thai cloth
His Buddhism training and the time he spent as a monk
Taught him to trust his instincts

He talked about “old friends” as in previous lifetimes
In his broken English,
Trying to make me understand
The connection he felt between us

We’d known each other only a month
But we’d been Old Friends since the day we’d met
I’d felt it too; not in a romantic way
Though he was handsome and virile

But as two who had shared a life
Perhaps siblings or brothers in arms
He told me he meditated about it
Its energy, beauty and mystery

And it started me thinking
Crystal – multi faceted with many rough offshoots
Is that who I am?
It took my Old Friend and 50 years

This poem contributed to
dVersePoets Open Link Week #

9 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

Sometimes it takes a lifetime to make sense of our life. Lovely poem, Crystal.

California Ink in Motion said...

Laurie said what I was going to type. Amazing how things come together as we age. Less questions, more answers. Quite different than being in my 20's. Crystals have an energy, your friend was kind to bring you that gift!

Brian Miller said...

multifaceted...smiles at the self actualization in this moment...the good news you found it still with time...smiles.

Pat Hatt said...

Yes at least there are days ahead for what you have found, great self reflectiion in the piece.

Claudia said...

cool story...and what an amazing present even if it took 50 years...but isn't this wonderful..and so warm-hearted...

Anonymous said...

Time is the midwife of awareness...great write. / Peter.

robkistner said...

Hi, Rob Kistner here. This is a piece well written, engaging – good work… mine is here: http://www.image-verse.com/clown

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

This gave me some new perspectives on your journey! Nice.

Jeff said...

Left to age
Then vintage wine
Uncorked
Its sweet bouquet known
Finally.