Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Grey Fox 2012

Today is Tuesday, July 24th - it's the second day of my fourth week of vacation.  I'm rather enjoying the life of leisure, though with all the trips we've been doing and have coming up I'm not sure I should call it leisure.    

I spent Sunday night at home and came out to camp on Monday.  We spent most of last week preparing for and then attending Grey Fox Bluegrass Music Festival in Oak Hill, NY.  We got there Wednesday, amid a very humid 90 degree day.  We found a perfect level spot next to some great folks from Vermont.  It was my first Grey Fox though Rick has been there several times.    
Our camper with Jason and Adri's tent in the background and their
 rental car in the foreground. 
The Vermont folks had the Airstream next to us, the metallic finish on which created a rather severe glare when it was hit by the sun.  I bought a couple of nice tapestries from one of the vendors and we hung them off the awning.  The results were less than perfect but serviceable. I think about 10 office clamps would do the trick nicely.  

Jason and Rick with matching hats at Grey Fox 2012

Jason and Adri listening to music at Grey Fox with a beautiful sunset behind them.
We saw some great music including the Del McCoury Band, The Hillbenders (amazing dobro player!), The Stringdusters, Lonesome River Band (we'd seen their banjo player, Sammy Shelor, at the Folk Festival in Bangor a couple years ago), Tony Trischka, Hot Rize (!), but my favorite of all I think was the Steeldrivers!  They put on a hell of a show in the Catskill Tent Saturday afternoon and another on the main stage Saturday night.  Rick said he's never seen an audience at a bluegrass festival react the way they did to these guys at the tent show.  It was pretty amazing.  
Rick and Jason pickin' some tunes with Adri looking on.  
Jason brought his mandolin with him on the flight from LA.  He's only been playing about a year but he's picked up a lot and was able to pick a few tunes and chop along to others.  I could tell Rick loved playing music with his son and was able to teach him some new things.  

Happy campers.


Rick, me, Adri, Jason.  This photo was taken on Thursday - before everyone got there.

I drove the truck and camper for the first time on our way home Sunday.  I started in Biddeford and drove it to Belgrade.  I was nervous about trying to negotiate the turn from Route 27 onto West Road so we changed drivers at Christie's Store.  The store parking lot was pretty full when I pulled in but I was able to weave through the gas pumps and some cars and park it for an easy exit.  I'd like to take it someplace to practice backing and negotiating around obstacles sometime.  I think I'd get the hang of it without too much trouble.