Friday, January 29, 2010

The tea set

Karen Barrett asked me to make her a tea set.  At first I was a bit reluctant because I still find it difficult to be deliberate about what I make.  I often will wedge up a peice of clay and start to throw without a definite idea of what I'm going to make.  I might start to make a cylindrical shape and open it out too widely so decide to go with a bowl instead of a vase or a mug, or vice versa.  It's low key and relaxing, and I often end up with unexpected pieces that I really like.  But I decided to give it a try.  I had wanted to make some more closed forms - which is how I make tea pots - rather than throwing a large open bottom and throwing the lid separately.  So here's the process. 

First throw the closed form.  It's a little lumpy but I liked the little flower petal looking handle on the top.


I used my needle tool and cut the lid while it was still on the wheel.  I find I get a more even cut than to wait until it's leather hard and use the exacto knife.  I often wait until after adding the handle and spout to add some impressions but decided to do it first this time.  
 
So next was the handle and spout.  I tried throwing the spout on the wheel but didn't like the result so ended up hand building it.  It came out a little awkward but I guess it works.  I pulled the handle and added some matching impressions.

And then threw a sugar bowl and creamer.  I loved the shape of the little creamer and decided to leave it without a handle because it just looked so sweet as it was. I added the leaf impressions.  I had meant to put a spoon cut out in the sugar bowl but it was too hard and brittle by the time I remembered so I left it as is. 

I think the set went into the kiln last night for its bisque firing.  Now I'd like to make a couple of small tea cups to go with it.  I've attempted this several times in the last couple of weeks but for some reason they just aren't working.  They're either too big or too small or too wide or something.  I have a few tea cups I threw previously that I can include with the set if all esle fails but I'll give it a few more tries before I resort to that.

No comments: